Back to School: Watch your kids arrive home from school (and make the home ready for them)
In honor of the new school year, we’re running a series about how Staples Connect can solve your back-to-school needs. Today, we’ll see how Staples Connect can help ensure your kids safely arrive home after school.
Earlier this week, we talked about how the ability to lock your door no matter where you are can give you peace of mind. We firmly believe that. Knowledge is power, and knowing what’s going on in your home at any time can ease your mind.
Having peace of mind about your home is nothing compared to having peace of mind about your kids, though. And today, we’re going to show you how Staples Connect can give you that by letting you see when your kids arrive home after school.
Staples Connect works with a lot of security-related devices. We looked at the Yale RealLiving lock last week. Today, we’ll see how you can use a Kwikset Lever Lock and a D-Link 1150 camera to see your kids coming through the front door after school.
To do this, we’ll create an Activity that runs from 3:00–3:30 p.m., when your children should be returning from school. Whenever your kids open the lock at that time, we’ll do two things. First, we’ll turn on the lights and increase the thermostat so the house is comfortable. Second, we’ll send you a notification to remind you to open up the D-Link camera page and see what’s happening.
To create this Activity:
- Tap Activities.
- Tap New Activity, then enter a name for your Activity.
- Although this Activity will run only during a certain time, it will start when the door is unlocked. To set this up, choose “The Activity will be started by one of my devices,” then choose the front door lock.
- Now we need to tell our system exactly when this will occur. First, tap the Reason dropdown and choose “When a user code was successfully entered.” Next, tap the When dropdown, choose “Between two times,” and then set the Start Time to 3:00 p.m. and the End Time to 3:30 p.m.
- Now that our conditions are in place, we can set things the way they should be. Choose a few of your lights and the thermostat, then tap Next.
- Turn the lights On and adjust the thermostat to 72º. When you’re satisfied, tap Next.
- It’s time to set up our notification. Write a brief message that will tell you to open the app, like “Home from school”, and then turn push notifications on.
- Review your Activity, then tap Finish.
When your child comes home between 3:00–3:30 p.m. and unlocks the front door, you’ll get a notification on your phone and tablet. When you do, swipe on it to open Staples Connect and then go to the camera near your front door. You’ll be able to see that your kid has safely made it home.
No more latchkey kids, no more wondering where Junior is. Staples Connect is here to bring you peace of mind for the ones you love most.